Sunday, October 5, 2008

My Access!!!!!!!

I’m passionate about teaching my students the importance of writing, even though it is by far the most frustrating thing I do. I have good days and bad days. One period will become a thriving writing environment while another limps along and students look like they would rather sit in the dentist’s chair than spend another second with me. I don’t expect all my students to love writing, but I do know that they all need to become proficient writers. And sadly, for a variety of reasons, many of our students are not. I certainly don’t have all the answers for why this is, but I do know that it’s not enough to just teach students a set of skills. Rather, they need to understand how writing works-why we write in the first place. They need to have a reason for writing so that they have an incentive to revise. The power of MY Access and why we are fortunate to use it, is that it can become a visual symbol that will help students internalize writing process. It’s a powerful ally, and personally I need all the help I can get.

No comments: